The future of the EU economic governance framework: a cross-party debate
Europe will be revising the rules coordinating national fiscal and economic policies in the next months. Against the background of a profoundly changed macroeconomic and social context, this is an opportunity to ensure that European economic policies in the next decade enable and incentivise the just transformation of our economies and societies towards decarbonisation and nature protection.
Watch the recording
This event aims to trigger an exchange with different perspectives across political parties on the following questions:
- How do we adapt the framework to the new macroeconomic context, drawing lessons from the past decade?
- Should a reformed EU fiscal framework put environmental and social goals at the heart of the EU economic governance, and how?
- How to address the huge fiscal risk due to runaway climate change? (i.e. climate-related fiscal risks)
- Which balance between debt sustainability and fiscal space to invest in the just transition?
Welcome and moderation:
- Patrizia Heidegger (Director of Global Policies Unit, European Environmental Bureau)
- Rasmus Andresen (Greens)
- Luděk Niedermayer (EPP)
- Valérie Hayer (Renew)
- Margarida Marques (S&D)
- José Gusmão (GUE/NGL)
- Wendel Trio (Director of Climate Action Network Europe)